Title: Administrative Records of the Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario
Series: 509/4 Conference Hospitals
Dates: 1923 – 1982
Extent: 2m textual records and photographs.
The Finding Aid includes File Description and Box Lists.
Prior to 1962, most of the hospitals and nursing stations that operated in the Conference were operated by the Woman’s Missionary Society of The United Church of Canada. The one exception was the Cruise Memorial Hospital in Vita, which received funding from the Board of Home Missions and reported to the Conference Home Missions Committee. Following the integration of the work of the Board of Home Missions and the Woman’s Missionary Society in 1962, Conference Home Missions also became responsible for the Elizabeth M. Crowe Memorial Hospital at Eriksdale. By the time of the demise of Home Missions in 1972, the surviving hospitals and other institutions which had been operated by United Church Home Missions had been encouraged to become independent incorporated bodies with self-administering boards.
Scope and Content
Most of the records which survive for hospitals operated by both the Woman’s Missionary Society and Home Missions (with the exception of three files created by Rev. N. K. Campbell) were combined into one sub-series when accessioned. Records include correspondence as well as minutes and reports of the hospital boards for hospitals and nursing stations that operated at Amaranth, Eriksdale, Ethelbert, Gypsumville, Pine River, Teulon and Vita dating from 1923 to 1983
Also see Series 509/2 Superintendents of Home Missions Excerpt 2: Property and Maintenance for further records pertaining to Eriksdale Hospital.